Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Lessons learned on a Ice Cream Date

     Last night my daughter and I went on a date.  As we left the house she told me she wanted to go and get her ears pierced (let me make it clear, I did verify that this was ok with her mother).  As we drove to the mall she was getting scared, so I decided to stop at Fusion Freeze before we faced the encounter.  We visited for awhile and she got her confidence back, so we proceeded to the mall.
     We made it to the mall, I filled out the paperwork, the young lady (with the big painful gun designed to inflict goobs of pain) was ready to start.  Aannnd my daughter chickened out again.  So we left the mall... and stopped at the high school to pick up my son from play practice... (Fiddler on the Roof showing Weds to Saturday at 7:30 every night)(my shameless plug for the play)...
     We enjoyed watching my son and all of his friends go thru their lines and songs as they prepare for the "real shows" this week...  It was this morning that some powerful messages hit me.

     My daughter did not get her ears pierced.  How many of us, let our fears sometimes of alittle pain, get in the way of allowing us to accomplish our goals.  And enjoy the "beauty" of those goals. 
     Or do we push through the time, practice, blood, sweat, the hard situations.  To enjoy the fruit of our labors, to perform on our "stage".

     Let me just say, that my day at work today, has been very different than it was yesterday and last week.

1 comment:

  1. ahhhh you are a good dad! My neighbor did mine with ice cubes to freeze my ears, a needle and a piece of string (red) to pull through every day with a dab of alcohol until it healed.....still have the original pierce LOL boy times have changed! tell her about ice cubes...she will do the gun!

    ReplyDelete